Cogito is a knowledge-based program with clearly defined standards of achievement and measurable learning objectives. Cogito is dedicated to helping average students maximize their academic potential. Cogito (ko-gi-to) is Latin for I reason. The program provides a Classic Liberal Arts Education and is designed for the student who is willing to work to achieve a high level of academic excellence in a knowledge-based program, and in a teacher-directed atmosphere of structured and sequenced learning. Critical thinking is stressed. Students work in an environment that promotes self-discipline.
The unique program characteristics include:
- Enriched core curriculum
- Sequenced knowledge content, with emphasis on mastery learning
- Focus on attention and increased concentration
- Early literacy developed through explicit phonics instruction
- Explicit spelling and grammar instruction
- Strong mental and written math skill development that emphasizes computational and problem solving skills
- Teachers oriented to a classical approach
- Direct, whole group instruction
- Strong work-ethic expected
- Regular homework required
- Committed parental support
Please visit the Edmonton Public Schools Cogito Alternative Program web site for helpful program information.
Foundational Principles for the Cogito Program